Phorest powers over 8,000 hair and beauty salons using our software in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Finland, the USA and Canada. Our aim is to capture 25% of the market globally – that’s one million salons and a billion-dollar company.
Our system touches every point of the salon experience. We have the in-salon software desktop application, Phorest Go (the native staff application), online bookings website for salons, and custom native apps per salon. In a typical month, Phorest processes millions of appointments, SMS, emails, and processes 100s of thousands of online bookings.
You will join a small group of highly skilled engineers in building exciting new features and extending our platform. Given we are a small product group, you will have freedom and control to shape our product vision without bureaucracy or politics.
What you'll do
- You will design, implement and deploy new features and enhancements to critical software products used by our clients and consumers.
- You demonstrate proper coding techniques including maintainability, reuse, clean code, and unit testing. Quality & high coding standards really matter to us - you will focus on continually applying them with excellent attention to detail.
- You never stop learning, pursuing and understanding the latest technology trends, with a pragmatic approach to solution design. You’re someone who knows not only when to use a new tool or technology, but also when not to.
- Be that person who takes the initiative implementing solutions that provide positive outcomes for the consumer team and the wider business.
- You are comfortable that challenges the norm and aren’t afraid to voice your opinion.
What we're looking for
- Proficiency in object-oriented software development and design
- Strong proficiency and at least 3 years of professional experience with object-oriented software design - (for example Ruby, Python, Java).
- Experience in modern software engineering practices such as continuous delivery, TDD, MVC, ORM
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable distributed system
- Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Experience in designing and building RESTful APIs
- Experience with lean/agile software development methodologies such as Kanban, XP, Scrum
🧘Your wellbeing is important to us - we provide private healthcare, an employee assistance program and a free online GP service (WebDoc).
💰As part of our Financial Wellbeing, we provide competitive Compensation, an Employee Share Purchase Scheme, Pension, Life Assurance, and Income Protection.
🚵🏿 We help you travel by providing a bike to work scheme as well as tax saver transport tickets.
🍼We care for your family and provide Enhanced Maternity and Paternity benefits.
🌳We grow our own timber! We provide a great learning environment including an extensive onboarding program.
Want to learn more about Phorest and our interview process?
Check out nothingventured.rocks for our blog and Insights on building an evergreen company from the team here at Phorest. We have also created an Interview README with an overview of how the process works for development candidates.
Phorest is an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our company. Phorest does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other category protected by law.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalised folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.