Phorest powers over 8,000 hair and beauty salons using our software in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Finland, the USA and Canada. Our aim is to capture 25% of the market globally – that’s one million salons and a billion-dollar company.
Our system touches every point of the salon experience. We have the in-salon software desktop application, Phorest Go (the native staff application), online bookings website for salons, and custom native apps per salon. In a typical month, Phorest processes millions of appointments, SMS, emails, and processes 100s of thousands of online bookings.
We are looking for an EM to be the spearhead of our foundations group, a pillar of our product development team whose mission is to enable Phorest to quickly evolve, scale and be trusted by salon owners so that we can run and grow their businesses - it is critical for our companies success.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants a new challenge, where you’ll bring your experience to a supportive, growth mindset environment that will enable us to achieve our goals. You will join other technical leaders to design and build the future in engineering/engineering management excellence in our company.
What You’ll Do:
- You have a core responsibility to improve the technology platform of Phorest, in the area of data engineering and other areas of excellence including infrastructure automation, build and deployments, library and frameworks and quality automation.
- Shape and lead our foundations tribe and QA automation tribe - to support them to solve some of our biggest challenges. Reducing risk of downtime, enabling us to ship faster and always being aware of improving our security best practices.
- Work with the Development Leadership team to help iterate on and share our engineering values on how we work, approach building products and support our customers as the platform grows.
- Work with product, engineering and business leaders to formulate, plan, build and measure the impact of a key strategic pillar for Phorest.
- Identify the most high-value functionality and projects, keeping teams focused on these projects, driving people to deliver value in a fast feedback loop.
- Increase the speed and quality of our infrastructure delivery, reducing our deployment cycle using latest methodologies and tools
- Ensure the Foundations pillar is aligned with the business to help get us to our goal of 15k salons in the next 2 years
- Work closely with all of the dev teams, sharing best practices and enabling them to be more self-sufficient
- Protect the integrity of our systems and recommend security enhancements
- Working with engineers to ensure they are successful in their roles, supporting them and identifying bottlenecks in the process and roadblocks to success
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years demonstrated impact in a similar leadership role, at scale
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a similar related field
- The ability to collaboratively lead the evolution of your team’s strategy, setting unambiguous roadmaps and goals for the team and then delivering on them in a healthy, predictable and sustainable way.
- Experience managing people who manage others and see their role as one of empowerment and creating an environment to encourage visionaries (rather than necessarily always be a visionary themselves).
- You should be comfortable coaching team members. You will communicate expectations clearly and deliver individual feedback frequently.
- You have a proven history of building close working relationships with your product counterparts and external stakeholders, with the ability to inspire and motivate, improve quality and productivity, while maintaining technical innovation and excellence
- Strategic thinker, with an ability to express and convey thoughts in meaningful ways in a fast-paced and evolving environment, with a high degree of autonomy
- Previous hands-on development experience in large JVM based distributed systems in AWS preferred is preferred
- Experience working with and managing Agile teams, as well as driving improvement across the whole development process
- Experience developing and supporting engineers, and engineering leaders in their personal growth and career progression. You foster an environment where communication, teamwork, and collaboration are rewarded.
- Discipline and appreciation of working with TDD/ CI processes.
- You focus on quality, while increasing efficiency, delivering value and reducing waste.
🧘Your wellbeing is important to us - we provide private healthcare, an employee assistance program and a free online GP service (WebDoc).
💰As part of our Financial Wellbeing, we provide competitive Compensation, an Employee Share Purchase Scheme, Pension, Life Assurance, and Income Protection.
🚵🏿 We help you travel by providing a bike to work scheme as well as tax saver transport tickets.
🍼We care for your family and provide Enhanced Maternity and Paternity benefits.
🌳We grow our own timber! We provide a great learning environment including an extensive onboarding program.
Want to learn more about Phorest and our interview process? Check out nothingventured.rocks for our blog and Insights on building an evergreen company from the team here at Phorest.
Phorest is an equal opportunity employer. For this position, flexi-time and working from home is possible. We are also open to remote work. Get in touch to ask for more information or to chat about your future with Phorest!
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalised folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.